Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Up Close: Banza Church Ruins #2

The Balete tree encasing one of the remnants of oldest churches in Mindanao


This is my first visit to what is popularly known as Banza church ruins. I had an entry about this subject before but taken from afar- from the Agusan river perspective. When I first learned about this place, I thought that the small structure beside this huge Balete (Banyan) tree was the remains of the old Augustinian church. I learned soon after that inside that tree, was the church ruins. 

In 1622, the Augustinian Recollects started their mission in Butuan eventually building one of the oldest churches, in a used to be predominantly Moro Islam area. Spanish-Moro Conflict (Wiki). It got decimated in a raid by the Moros.

You can read some of the histories at this stone writings beside the church ruins. 

When we went there one Saturday afternoon, we hoped for a good view of the sunset. Alas. It was gloomy that time. The lighting was a little flat and grey. So my mother, my brother and I just went around taking selfies, and photos of the surroundings. Then I happened to glance around and saw this couple. They were just there, still. Enjoying each other's presence. They stayed there the whole time we were there (which was probably 20 or 30 minutes) in more or less the same position. It was a little unusual. And it made me wonder. ;)

This is my first post of the year. My first post since I last posted in 2013!

Photos taken using Fuji Xe1, Samyang 12 mm

No comments:

Photoblogs - Top Blogs Philippines Add to Google blogarama - the blog directory Places Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add to Technorati Favorites Philippines Directory